Thursday, December 15, 2011

Bring me some figgy pudding...

A couple of weeks ago I heard a radio announcer talking about a recent poll taken regarding holiday shopping.  The poll concluded that people were more likely to shop in stores that hung signs stating "Merry Christmas", as opposed to stores that wished their customers "Happy Holidays".  The radio announcers then went on to discuss how this took (or not) into account consumers who were not Christian, and concluded with how Kim Kardashian might be pregnant with the holiday spirit, regardless of her recent marital troubles. 

After hearing that incredibly enlightening diatribe on the radio, I started seeing a lot of posts on Facebook talking about the reason for the season, and how people should be ashamed of themselves for not wishing Merry Christmas to others.  This got me thinking, and when I get to thinking, usually  trouble, and sarcasm abound.  I couldn't help but wonder what the hell difference it makes to anyone what seasonal greeting people use with one another; isn't one just as good as the next?  Can't we all just get along with the idea that people are going out of their way to be considerate in offering any kind of greeting at all?  I also can't help but point out that the reason for the season is a celebration of life, love, and hope (which I may be mistaken in confusing with the reason why Jesus' story is so compelling to begin with), with Christmas and Hanukkah and winter solstice celebrations all thrown into the mix.  And, while I'm not anti-Christmas, or anti-Christian by any stretch of the imagination, isn't one of the tenets of Christianity that we shall not judge and everyone is included?   These troublesome thoughts combined with seasonal malaise and a severe case of motivational deficit disorder put me in a real foul mood.  Not the "I'm going to jump off the bridge in Bedford Falls until Clarence saves me' kind of mood, but there was no holly in my jolly.

In the midst of this emotional state, I started listening to the oldies station in the morning on my commute to work; truth told I was looking for a little auditory holiday cheer to get me into the spirit, and offer a little mental stability (I know, I know that's a tall order for a a twenty minute ride).  Complete aside, there are some really, really sucky Christmas songs out there.  The radio station is sponsoring a program where people in need can have their holiday wishes come true.  These wishes don't include laptops or a gaming system.  Their wishes include the most basic desires people might have for their family:  a decent meal and maybe a gift or two for their children.  Sadly, there are a lot of people out there who really are in need.   Amazingly though,  there are a large number of people out there who are willing to give over some of what they have in order to meet those needs; somehow the radio stations are willing to put these groups of people together and get it done. I must say that while my heart broke a little which each of these stories, it lifted my spirits considerably to get a glimpse of people taking care of one another.

Fast forward a couple of days, and I found myself at Kohls on the hunt for a red sweater for my toddler that didn't include teddy bears wearing ski caps and scarves.  Not being able to find the sweater, I found myself in the incredibly small toy section of Kohls.  In this section, I ran into a little old lady shuffling around, muttering to herself and fingering many of the toys.  After a few moments, she asked me if kids still like Matchbox cars.  I told her I thought they did and she confessed that she was there to buy some presents for Toys for Tots.  She wasn't on the hunt for a perfect toy for her grandchildren, but rather to buy toys for kids she'd never even met.  Emotional state:  fair to middling.

Most recently, I've learned of a friend of a friend who is in the process of going through an international adoption.   I find myself amazed by the courage and hope that it takes for someone to go through this process: lengthy and costly and no doubt heart-wrenching for all participants.  In the end though, this unites people across oceans in order to create families and provide love and care where there was none before.  Through tears and wishes of smooth sailing for this new family, my holiday spirit returned.

I know it's corny to point out that there are miracles happening daily, minute by minute all around us.  I am grateful to be given the opportunity to the see the light in the dark, and in these instances, I feel proud to count myself among the humans.  I didn't know I was looking for it, but finding evidence of hope and love just may cause me to wish you a Happy Samhain.


This weeks tip: With people coming over your house, you may feel the need to spruce up a little (Christmas tree pun intended).  In order to remove scratches from your wood tables - mine are caused by small children who have taken a fancy to using forks as instruments on the dining table - you can use coffee.  Yep, a little instant coffee dampened with hot water into a paste and rubbed on the surface until the scratch matches the surrounding surface will set you up quite nicely. 

No comments: